game too hard

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

game too hard

Post by nuhll »

... after complaining about thge game was too easy, i added some mods and set biters to high... now the problem is we have way too many biters attacking every second from all sides, were using like 300 ammo per minute...

Since i like it hard, we would like to continue play, but we dont have any oil near... so its impossible to play further (we cant fight them without laser towers...) - but i also dont know if that woudl work.

Is it possible to set the biters to "only when getting attacked" mode after we startet a game? And then set it back when we build an outpost?

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: game too hard

Post by Neotix »

You can use console commands to turn on/off the peace mode.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

A suggested strategy:
Stock up on ammo and basic materials for a bit, then shut off your base. (Make sure everything stops, the goal here is to stop producing any pollution).
Once the existing pollution dissipates the biters will stop attacking and you can use the peace and quiet to go searching for an oil patch. Once you find it, this is where the stocking of materials comes in, setup an outpost there (may need to clear a biter base or two to get it set up, you'd be surprised what a few gun turrets with piercing ammo and walls can do if you leap-frog them and support them yourself; I've cleared a biter base with a half-dozen spawners when there were large biters and large spitters with just 2 gun turrets, a few stacks of mags and some wall segments, though it IS challenging to pull off). Once you have the base secured, route a rail line back to your home (may have to do more biter base clearing, but at least your main is safe and sound during all of this. Once you have the line setup (with defenses). It's time to turn everything back on.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Neotix wrote:You can use console commands to turn on/off the peace mode.
How?
Frightning wrote:A suggested strategy:
Stock up on ammo and basic materials for a bit, then shut off your base. (Make sure everything stops, the goal here is to stop producing any pollution).
Once the existing pollution dissipates the biters will stop attacking and you can use the peace and quiet to go searching for an oil patch. Once you find it, this is where the stocking of materials comes in, setup an outpost there (may need to clear a biter base or two to get it set up, you'd be surprised what a few gun turrets with piercing ammo and walls can do if you leap-frog them and support them yourself; I've cleared a biter base with a half-dozen spawners when there were large biters and large spitters with just 2 gun turrets, a few stacks of mags and some wall segments, though it IS challenging to pull off). Once you have the base secured, route a rail line back to your home (may have to do more biter base clearing, but at least your main is safe and sound during all of this. Once you have the line setup (with defenses). It's time to turn everything back on.

You dont understand.

Since we use 2 mods to make this game harder its not possible, we cant even kill 1 solo base (2 players) with (normal) towers. They have more live and they spawn WAY WAY faster then normal, and are more clever.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

nuhll wrote:
Neotix wrote:You can use console commands to turn on/off the peace mode.
How?
Open the console with ~ and enter these two lines (one by one) to enable peaceful mode:

Code: Select all

/c game.player.surface.peaceful_mode = true
/c game.forces["enemy"].kill_all_units()
Replace true with false in the above script to disable it.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

nuhll wrote:~snip~
You dont understand.

Since we use 2 mods to make this game harder its not possible, we cant even kill 1 solo base (2 players) with (normal) towers. They have more live and they spawn WAY WAY faster then normal, and are more clever.
Not sure how ridiculous the mods are making the biters (or exactly how far into the game you are), but when I took out that biter base w/ large biters and large spitters coming from it, I used 2 turrets, which I walled in before placing and giving them ammo (would create the 12-segment wall enclosing a 2x2 area, put the turret inside and stuff a stack of piercing mags into it), move up a bit, and do it w/ other turret, then pick up turret further back, etc. leapfrogging them. I would also use my personal weapons (and healthy dose of kiting; I had basic Modular Armor with 2 shield mk1s, 3 battery mk1s, and 5 solar panels too, which helped a ton. I also had several stacks of repair packs and used most of them repairing the turrets and walls.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

If you'd like i can write a mod which will periodically turn peaceful mode on and off, on a sort of semi-random time scale

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Why not!

Currently they are attacking from all sides maybe 200 300 per side....every 2-3 min? I have like 20 amunition factorys and cant keep up making munition. Also i even dont have flyin bots because i cant reach oil... :D :D :D :D

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

So, if default settings are too easy, and extra hard settings plus extra hard mods are too hard, maybe there's a goldilocks region somewhere in between? :) It would also help if you list which mods you're using so people can give more detailed feedback.

Personally, I like* maximum biter settings but with good resource settings, gives a nice challenge in the early game although biters simply cease being a threat once you have teched to fully upgraded turrets.

*) 12.x, haven't played 13 yet

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

nuhll wrote:Why not!

Currently they are attacking from all sides maybe 200 300 per side....every 2-3 min? I have like 20 amunition factorys and cant keep up making munition. Also i even dont have flyin bots because i cant reach oil... :D :D :D :D

Here it is:

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/Biter_Seasons

Return to “Gameplay Help”