[MOD 0.9.x] Colorblind Roboport Radius Overlay

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Braddock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[MOD 0.9.x] Colorblind Roboport Radius Overlay

Post by Braddock »

While talking with one of the fun people on the Factorio irc channel, They happened to mention having issues with the roboports. Specifically, when they moused over it they couldn't see the smaller inside square of coverage from the larger outside square. The colors/shades were too close together and it made it exceptionally hard to use.

While poking around the files I figured out where the overlay was and also how to package up a change for it into a mod. I darkened up the center's color a little and that was enough for the colors to contrast from each other and the ground enough to make it useable. They then suggested that a blue might also be a good alternative color to contrast with them, so I put together a version with that. Since it works well enough for them I figured I'd share it here in case anyone else is having similar issues. Or in case they simply want to try a new middle color for it.

If someone does have an issue with the visibility of the overlays themselves and can think of another color/shade/whatever that would work for them, then feel free to let me know. I'd be glad to see what I can do to help.

To recap:
A new shade and a new color for the center square overlay of the roboport coverage (aka. the logistics robot coverage)
--one slightly darker shade of orange
--one shade of blue

Downloads after the demo screenshots I took. You only need to download one or the other, whichever color you prefer.
Example Images
Attachments
ColorblindRadiusOverlaysBlue.zip
The overlay with a shade of blue instead.
(4.04 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
ColorblindRadiusOverlaysOrange.zip
The overlay with a slightly darker shade of the original.
(4.05 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Last edited by Braddock on Sat May 24, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.9.x] Colorblind Roboport Radius Overlay

Post by Drury »

Nice! If there's one mod that needs to be implemented the game it's this one.

A while ago someone here on the forums mentioned a certain German reviewer who had trouble telling pollution apart on the map. It's too transparent.

Do you think you could do something about that too?

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

I do not understand, why blue is better then orange?
Lenovo Y580 8GB Ram GF660m 128GB SSD W7

Braddock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Braddock »

Drury wrote:Nice! If there's one mod that needs to be implemented the game it's this one.

A while ago someone here on the forums mentioned a certain German reviewer who had trouble telling pollution apart on the map. It's too transparent.

Do you think you could do something about that too?
I... dunno. I only just started looking into modding the game yesterday... day before yesterday? I dunno what the time will be in relation to this post, but it was only a day or two ago :P
I didn't see anything in the lua about anything on the map, but maybe I just haven't found it. I'll poke around a bit and see if I can figure something out, no promises though.
darius456 wrote:I do not understand, why blue is better then orange?
I don't know if blue is better, or even how much better it would be if it was. I'm not color blind myself, but the player I was helping on irc is. They said a shade of orange that was only slightly darker then the original was enough for them to see it use-ably (originally I had it a much, MUCH darker shade, closer to black :P ). And when I asked if there were any other colors that they could think of that would contrast well with the color scheme of the game, they suggested the blue.

Different people are affected by colorblindness in different ways and to different degrees. I'm just hoping that anyone else having this kind of problem will find one of those useful for them. Or they can request a color/shade that would work better for them as well. I'm willing to create another version for them if neither of those stand out properly for them :)

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

I believe pollution is just a transparent red .png, poke around in the basemod.

orion420
Inserter
Inserter

Post by orion420 »

darius456 wrote:I do not understand, why blue is better then orange?

I don't know if blue is better, or even how much better it would be if it was. I'm not color blind myself, but the player I was helping on irc is. They said a shade of orange that was only slightly darker then the original was enough for them to see it use-ably (originally I had it a much, MUCH darker shade, closer to black :P ). And when I asked if there were any other colors that they could think of that would contrast well with the color scheme of the game, they suggested the blue.

Different people are affected by colorblindness in different ways and to different degrees. I'm just hoping that anyone else having this kind of problem will find one of those useful for them. Or they can request a color/shade that would work better for them as well. I'm willing to create another version for them if neither of those stand out properly for them :)
If your interested I am Red-Green Color blind for only a few shades of brownish red this dose not impair my perception much and can play the base game without any difficulty.
But Two primary color combos that affect people are Red-Green and Blue-Yellow however please read this citing form Wikipedia
Wikipedia "color Blindness" wrote:Those with tritanopia and tritanomaly have difficulty discriminating between bluish and greenish hues, as well as yellowish and reddish hues.
--- IMAGE DELETED, CAUSE IT CONTAINED SEXUAL CONTENT, ssilk ---
I would suggest another color pallet form above to understanded it you might visit the wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blin ... _blindness

orion420
Inserter
Inserter

Post by orion420 »

O yea and my favorite color is blue and green so i will be using this mod 8)

Saucy_Beanz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Saucy_Beanz »

I'm trying to use this mod, how do install it? I've never modded this game before & I keep getting errors :cry:

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Saucy_Beanz wrote:I'm trying to use this mod, how do install it? I've never modded this game before & I keep getting errors :cry:
It's possible the mod needs to be updated to work with newer Factorio version.

Saucy_Beanz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Saucy_Beanz »

FishSandwich wrote:It's possible the mod needs to be updated to work with newer Factorio version.
Yeah I've researched a bit more and came to the same conclusion, oh well, thank you for your prompt reply! Think I'm going to have to continue guessing how far apart I have to place my Roboports until its fixed: here's a screen cap of the error message if anyone has a fix for it http://i.imgur.com/Qq6YOUT.png?1 Me & OCD's would be eternally grateful for a solution to this.

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

I fixed the blue one. Some roboports might need replacing since they keep orange one if you put them before installing the mod.

Edit1: Actually not. Those were roboports from other mod.
Attachments
Colorblind Radius Blue Overlay_0.2.0.zip
(3.94 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

Saucy_Beanz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Saucy_Beanz »

Thank you very much oLaudix <3, works a treat! :D

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator