[1.1.107] Manual train steering while moving backwards can be reversed when player is in cargo wagon

Bugs that are actually features.
ribsngibs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[1.1.107] Manual train steering while moving backwards can be reversed when player is in cargo wagon

Post by ribsngibs »

A little confusing, but normally if you are manually steering a train backwards and want to take the fork as shown in this image:
Train.png
Train.png (1.38 MiB) Viewed 232 times
you need to hold the Left button ("A") as you back over the fork in the rail.

If, however, you get into a cargo wagon, depending on which way the cargo wagon was rotated when originally placed, you may actually find that the controls are reversed (the bug I'm reporting), and the train will instead go down the right fork.

Steps to reproduce: Make a rail fork as in the image, then place a locomotive and cargo wagon in front of the fork and enter the cargo wagon and attempt to take the left fork by holding "A" while backing up. The controls may be reversed (which demonstrates the bug); However, if the controls work correctly, remove the cargo wagon and replace it but hit "R" to rotate the wagon before placing it (there will be no visible difference since cargo wagons are symmetrical, but it will reverse the steering when moving backwards), and then the controls should be reversed.

Interestingly: forward/back is never reversed, and left/right is never reversed when moving forwards. It's only reversed half the time when moving backwards.

Log file is here: https://pastebin.com/uq5NA4b3
I'm running Space Exploration and unfortunately I don't have a vanilla game save available where I've researched trains. Just guessing that this is broken regardless in vanilla.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.107] Manual train steering while moving backwards can be reversed when player is in cargo wagon

Post by Rseding91 »

The cargo wagon has a direction as well and in your case it is not the same as the locomotive. It’s just far harder to see the direction because it looks close to the same.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

ribsngibs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [1.1.107] Manual train steering while moving backwards can be reversed when player is in cargo wagon

Post by ribsngibs »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 12:12 pm
The cargo wagon has a direction as well and in your case it is not the same as the locomotive. It’s just far harder to see the direction because it looks close to the same.
Yes, but the forward/backward controls do not reverse with the direction of the cargo wagon - forwards/backwards always behaves as if you are driving the locomotive (if you have a single-direction train - I didn't test with double headed trains). I would expect that the f/b and l/r controls would either both match the locomotive or both match the cargo wagon.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

ribsngibs wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 12:22 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
Yes, but the forward/backward controls do not reverse with the direction of the cargo wagon - forwards/backwards always behaves as if you are driving the locomotive (if you have a single-direction train - I didn't test with double headed trains). I would expect that the f/b and l/r controls would either both match the locomotive or both match the cargo wagon.
I think what Rseding91 is saying is if you are in the loco, controls will follow the direction of the loco. If you're in the cargo wagon, then they follow the direction of the wagon.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

ribsngibs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ribsngibs »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:17 pm
ribsngibs wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 12:22 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
I think what Rseding91 is saying is if you are in the loco, controls will follow the direction of the loco. If you're in the cargo wagon, then they follow the direction of the wagon.
What I am saying is they do not. I should have made this chart yesterday to make it clearer, but given the player location (in the loco or cargo wagon) and whether the cargo wagon is reversed, and the keyboard input, this is how how the train responds (directions given relative to the locomotive):
TrainChart.png
TrainChart.png (20.66 KiB) Viewed 135 times
As you can see, you can blindly hop into any part of a single headed train (locomotive or cargo wagon), and confidently drive it backward and forward and turn left and right while going forward as well and expect that your controls will be correct, but if you go backwards and try to steer you have a 50% chance of having the left/right controls switched.

Return to “Not a bug”