[0.12.14-0.12.15] Update Error

Bugs that are actually features.
HellUnit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.12.14-0.12.15] Update Error

Post by HellUnit »

Using Ubuntu Server 14.04 x64, I am attempting to update using the zip file. There have been no modifications to any of the files since a vanilla setup of 0.12.14 yesterday.

Code: Select all

0.000 2015-10-28 13:08:14; Factorio 0.12.14 (Build 17183, linux64)
   0.070 Operating system: Linux (Ubuntu 14.04)
   0.070 Program arguments: "/opt/factorio/bin/x64/factorio" "--apply-update" "/tmp/factorio-update/core-linux64-0.12.14-0.12.15-update.zip"
   0.070 Read data path: /opt/factorio/data
   0.070 Write data path: /opt/factorio
   0.070 Binaries path: /opt/factorio/bin
   0.087 Running in headless mode
   0.090 Loading mod core 0.0.0 (data.lua)
   0.093 Loading mod base 0.12.14 (data.lua)
   0.693 Factorio initialised
   0.694 Info Updater.cpp:369: Applying update /tmp/factorio-update/core-linux64-0.12.14-0.12.15-update.zip
   1.374 Error Util.cpp:49: File /opt/factorio/bin/x64/factorio has unexpected content
   1.389 Goodbye
I have tried running the command as the "factorio" user and as root. Same results both times.

EDIT: It just occured to me that it may be caused by the fact that the server is headless and the update zip file may not be expecting that, but I'm not certain if there is a different update file for the headless version.

EDIT 2: That is exactly the problem. I ran the update_factorio.py script as "python update_factorio.py -u HellUnit -t <token> -x -l" and it lists:

Code: Select all

Available packages:
        core-win32
        core-linux32
        core-mac
        core-linux_headless64
        core-linux64
        core-win64
        scenario-pack
So the update script is not fetching the headless version.
Last edited by HellUnit on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.12.14-0.12.15] Update Error

Post by daniel34 »

I'm pretty sure there are no update files for the headless server. I always update the server by downloading the new headless files and then replacing the old bin and data folders with the new ones.

If I read your post correctly you called factorio with --apply-update [...]-update.zip. Seems you can't do that with the headless server version (well you could if you had an update.zip for headless).
But headless server is only ~16mb big and the normal update usually is at least as big as that, so just download the new headless and replace the old one.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

HellUnit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HellUnit »

daniel34 wrote:I'm pretty sure there are no update files for the headless server. I always update the server by downloading the new headless files and then replacing the old bin and data folders with the new ones.

If I read your post correctly you called factorio with --apply-update [...]-update.zip. Seems you can't do that with the headless server version (well you could if you had an update.zip for headless).
But headless server is only ~16mb big and the normal update usually is at least as big as that, so just download the new headless and replace the old one.
There is an update file for the headless version, the script is just not fetching it properly. See the edited post above.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

HellUnit wrote:There is an update file for the headless version, the script is just not fetching it properly. See the edited post above.
Everyday you learn something new, I didn't know this one.

However, I'll still download the complete headless version just in case I need to revert to an earlier version (happened twice already), so I have them in my folder and can just replace the non-working version.

Moved to Not a bug, as in this case the bug would be in the factorio-updater.py.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

HellUnit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HellUnit »

daniel34 wrote: Moved to Not a bug, as in this case the bug would be in the factorio-updater.py.
Thank you. The problem is indeed not with factorio itself. The updater script works fine. It just needs to have "-p core-linux_headless64" specified, rather than "core-linux64", so the problem is with the arguments being passed to it by the factorio-init script, I believe. I wrote a bash script to do it instead and it went perfectly.

EDIT: I also submitted a patch to the factorio-init script on Github that should resolve this for the init.d script users.

Return to “Not a bug”