Animated Locomotive Running Gear

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Ninja9025
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Animated Locomotive Running Gear

Post by Ninja9025 »

Hi, I'm pretty new here, and I'm just as new to modding Factorio.

My objective here is to create new sprite sheets for trains, more specifically steam locomotives. My issue is that I am not aware of a method of implementing animations for wheels and the mechanisms that turn them (The running gear). Is there a way to do this? Is there any direction I can look in to find a solution? Or am I, in this endeavor, completely out of luck?

Some more details on my thought process:
I see that on the train prototype there is a parameter of "wheels" which is of type "rotated sprite". It looks like there is a data type called "rotated animation" which does exactly what I want (I think, I am not certain), but it is used by the car prototype and not the locomotive prototype. I am really hoping that there is a way to overload the wheels parameter with rotated animation. Maybe there is a way to edit the locomotive prototype to accept rotated animation? If so, it is not apparent how. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing.

Any input is appreciated!

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Animated Locomotive Running Gear

Post by Bilka »

Maybe there is a way to edit the locomotive prototype to accept rotated animation?
That's not possible. You're out of luck.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Ninja9025
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Animated Locomotive Running Gear

Post by Ninja9025 »

Thanks for the response. I hope something changes in the future to allow me to do this.

(edit) make animated running gear that is, a source code leak would be bad

Return to “Modding help”