[0.9.8 Win7 x64] Playing after another game, causes stutter

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
vladsnakedragon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.9.8 Win7 x64] Playing after another game, causes stutter

Post by vladsnakedragon »

I've had this problem for a bit now, where the game stop-and-goes every few seconds, if run after I've been playing another game. It is a really weird bug. Basically, it runs smooth for 2-3 seconds, stops for less than a second (like a pause or twitch) , then continues. This is only after it's been run after another game, and some apps, and is the only game that does this.
This bug persists until the computer is fully restarted.
After doing some testing with various things, I've come to these results down below.

Fresh restart of Win 7, Factorio Launched first: Runs fine, no slowdowns. Can play the game for hours without a problem, exit and restart does not bring the issue up. The moment I exit, launch another game (even for 5 minutes), exit out of the other game, launch Factorio, above issue happens.

Fresh restart of Win 7, Launching another game first: Launching and playing another game for a bit before exiting, the issue with Factorio presents itself after exiting the game as well.

Launching another game, with Factorio running already, or Factorio launched during play of another game: Same result, Factorio stutters, but also stutters the game as well. Once factorio is closed, stuttering is gone.

Extra things I've done:
1) Monitoring Performance of the GPU and CPU, there is no full utilization of either by Factorio (Specs below). No 'spikes' that may indicate a leak somewhere.
2) Memory usage never even peaks close to full , at most only 3/4ths is utilized with 2 games running (one being factorio)
3) Using RamMap to clear away any Stand-By memory cached by other apps has no effect. The theory behind this was, that the Stand-By memory was only clearing on a need-to-use basis for Factorio, and thus causing slowdowns since it would only clearn what it needs at the moment, and need to do so every few seconds, thus causing stop-and-go.
4) Windowed mode has been tried with Factorio and Other games, has no effect on results
5) Modifying savegame speed, thread count (up and down), has no effect either, pausing behavior persists
6) With or Without mods has no effect on the game, but for reference, DyTech, F-Mod, TreeMod are running since this had no effect
7) Starting a new game during the stutter, or before a stutter, does not have an effect. Brand new maps played as a fresh-launch of Factorio, or after quitting out of a loaded game, will still follow the behavior above.
8) The games I had tried running have all been 3D ones, off the top of my head, here is a few I've used to experiment with: Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Battlefield 4, War Thunder, Space Engineers, Minecraft, Dawn of War 2: Retribution, Artemis, Titan Fall, League of Legends, Fallout New Vegas, Euro Truck Simulator 2, and Prototype 2. I may be missing a couple of others, but am writing off of my laptop ATM. All games were run in Windowed and Fullscreen Modes for the purposes of testing, tests were done with Launch/Exit, Launch/Play for 5 minutes/Exit, Launch/Play for a while to check if stutter disappears/Exit.

My Specs:
AMD FX8150 3.9 Ghz (8 Core, 8 Thread)
Nvidia GTX570
16GB DDR3 1.333 Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with all the updates.
System HDD/Partition has 50gb free, Factorio HDD/Partition has about 20gb free

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.9.8 Win7 x64] Playing after another game, causes stut

Post by kovarex »

My naive guess is, that it could be done because of the fragmentation of the empty video memory, but I have no idea if this can really happen, I would have to research.

mUnky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mUnky »

I have exactly the same problem, also on x64 windows 7. Any other details you might need to solve the problem?

mUnky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mUnky »

Any word on this? :O

Very irritating... can't really play factorio without restarting the computer.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I have one more question, could you post the log of both situations? (when factorio is slow, and after restart) ?

Also, when Factorio is slow, could you post the screenshot with the time statistics turned on? (when you press F5)

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

also, could you check if you get different results with the .zip version of the game? The installer version stutters for me, where the .zip version runs fine.

The version of the exe used is the same, I don't have a clue what might cause it.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

Could you please use the Process Explorer as described in thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=2454
to see if the problem you are expiriencing might be the fact that factorio stores most of its graphics in System GPU memory (shared ram to graphic card) and not Dedicated GPU memory (actual graphic memory of your graphic card).

Return to “Pending”