[Idea] Different research model and character background

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Idea] Different research model and character background

Post by rk84 »

Idea for mod perhaps. I just gathered some of my thoughts here and I would like to know your opinion.

Its usually supposed that player is survivor of space wreck or something similar. In general something went wrong and player has to deal with it. What if everything went as planned? You are alone in some planet and poorly equipment. That would be pretty stupid thing to do, but mayby you were partly forced and being expendable worker for some organization does not give you access to best stuff.

Start situation
  • Sending someone with pick to unknown planet would probably be overkill and not efficient use of workforce. Compared what start gear vanilla factorio offers you, a better gear is in order. Also tool for sending items out of planet is needed.
The Organization
  • Wants player to harvest the planet for their gain. Supports player by releasing new tech. They could provide something else, after player has access to all "available" tech. Unefficient/renegading player will be target of elimination.
Tech and Research
  • There could be 2 tech trees (Human tech and alien tech) and no science packs.
  • Human tech. This would be given by the organization. Based on how much you produce items for them. It could be like every week the organization evaluate your item flow (multiplied with item value). When certain "score" is reached, patch of tech is released. Then player can "research" how to manufacture new tech by using prototype assembler (which are basicly labs). After certain number of trial and errors, player can replace prototype assembler with normal assembler to start productions.
  • Alien tech. Research of Alien items could lead to some improved adaptation of human tech or new things. Where do player gets first lab is still question for me. Since I don't see the organization as sending player to do research. Actually the organization might ban player from using alien tech.
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Idea] Different research model and character background

Post by ficolas »

rk84 wrote:The Organization
  • Wants player to harvest the planet for their gain. Supports player by releasing new tech. They could provide something else, after player has access to all "available" tech. Unefficient/renegading player will be target of elimination.
Tech and Research
There could be 2 tech trees (Human tech and alien tech) and no science packs.
[*]Human tech. This would be given by the organization. Based on how much you produce items for them. It could be like every week the organization evaluate your item flow (multiplied with item value). When certain "score" is reached, patch of tech is released. Then player can "research" how to manufacture new tech by using prototype assembler (which are basicly labs). After certain number of trial and errors, player can replace prototype assembler with normal assembler to start productions.
Maybe sending material to your planet with ships, so they can research and over time they will send you plans with how to build machines.
rk84 wrote: [*]Alien tech. Research of Alien items could lead to some improved adaptation of human tech or new things. Where do player gets first lab is still question for me. Since I don't see the organization as sending player to do research. Actually the organization might ban player from using alien tech.
Raiding aliens to get it :D

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Idea] Different research model and character background

Post by rk84 »

ficolas wrote:Maybe sending material to your planet with ships, so they can research and over time they will send you plans with how to build machines.
First I was thinking some teleport device, but it would make you think why that tech is not used more. yea I agree ship is better idea.

I guess you can see the use of materials that way too. I see it like the tech already exist, but they aren't sharing it for free.
ficolas wrote:Raiding aliens to get it :D
or trading :)
I'm thinking, there could be neutral creeper faction. That could become enemy or ally.
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”