Searchlights

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SANTIMEL
Inserter
Inserter

Searchlights

Post by SANTIMEL »

Goal
- Diversify the gameplay
- Get rid of the disadvantage
Situation
Attacking enemies are poorly distinguishable. Until they reach the illuminated base.

It's not particularly pleasant to look at something dim.
Decision
Add floodlights to the game.
Which would illuminate the nearest and middle frontiers of the front.
Only unlike the mod Searchlight
The spotlight should work like a flashlight hero.
1484486243919.jpg
1484486243919.jpg (100.51 KiB) Viewed 511 times
1 [13.05.2024].png
1 [13.05.2024].png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 524 times

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Searchlights

Post by Illiander42 »

Mod one

Mod two

Mod three (You want the wide-area lamps)

Have fun :mrgreen:

SANTIMEL
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SANTIMEL »

Thank you, but they have a completely different essence and purpose.

I wish there were stationary spotlights. Which, if placed in a row, will evenly illuminate all the fortifications ahead.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

A mod like this would be trivial for me to make, and is something I'd kind of want, too, due to my use of Clockwork to darken and extend the nights.

However, I can't create graphics, so I don't know what I'd use for the entity(ies).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 11:01 am
A mod like this would be trivial for me to make, and is something I'd kind of want, too, due to my use of Clockwork to darken and extend the nights.

However, I can't create graphics, so I don't know what I'd use for the entity(ies).
Searchlight mod is under MIT license, I think? (Always worth checking if the graphics are differently licensed than the code)

And on that note, we need the new turret targetting priorities to include a "focus-fire"/"anti-focus-fire" filter as well as a type.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Ah, crap, as I was starting to work on this, I happened to remember about this: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=100628

Lamps don't actually have a "direction", thus they don't support a focused beam in a particular direction that could then be rotated. The car, locomotive, and character do, but using one of these instead may have unintended side effects, especially in combination with other mods that search and modify everything of these types. Hmm....

As I'm not good with graphics, either, this has become a lot harder. :lol:
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

Use a turret for the base item?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

That's what searchlight does already, and the best it can achieve is a very narrow beam that'll only appear when there's a target and then follow it around.

Searchlight Assault does something different, but effectively only creates a spot of light (that sweeps back and forth).

Neither of these are what I (and I'm assuming the OP) want to accomplish.

There may be something else I can do, but it's early morning for me atm and I need to get ready for work.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”