Tile building Area MIN/MAX keybind

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mzero974
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Tile building Area MIN/MAX keybind

Post by Mzero974 »

TL;DR
Most people usually switch between 2 tile building area, MIN and MAX. Why not create 2 keybinds that actually set the building area to the MAX or to the MIN ?

What ?
Hello ! I suggest a simple addition.

We usually only use 2 size of area when building tiles. The minimum size (1x1) or the maximum size (20x20). But there is not any keybind to set the building area to the maximum or minimum.
Currently in the game I have to press 19 times "PageUp" to go to the max size area and 19 times "PageDown" again to switch to the min size.
Wouldn't "Shift+PageUp" or "Shift+PageDown" be a good idea ?

I understand that a simple mod would easily do that, but this simple QOL addition hasn't been proposed yet.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [QOL] Tile building Area MIN/MAX keybind

Post by Illiander42 »

20x20 isn't actually the max building size for tiles. It's dependent on your character's reach (long-reach mods make it bigger, infinite-reach mods make it not have a max)

(I didn't know PageUp/PageDown did that, I use NumPad+/-)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I usually build in 2x2 and 4x4.

But, it wouldn't hurt to have something that goes min (1x1) to vanilla max (20x20 or whatever it is).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Mzero974
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mzero974 »

Yes you are right, I played for so long with mods I didn't even notice the default reach was 10.

And I had to change the default key for larger and smaller tile building area since I don't have a numpad.

I am currently searching in the API for a way to set the value of the brush area to make a mod in few lines of code.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

Mzero974 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 6:35 pm
I am currently searching in the API for a way to set the value of the brush area to make a mod in few lines of code.
It's either going to be 5 lines of code or impossible.

If it's impossible, then you might want to head over to API requests and put it there. I know I wouldn't mind +/-10 tile radius buttons.

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Tile building Area MIN/MAX keybind

Post by Trific »

Many people use shift or ctrl with the mouse wheel to quickly change tile building area.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”