Place medium light pole overtop small light pole

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Jobeo
Inserter
Inserter

Place medium light pole overtop small light pole

Post by Jobeo »

Just as blue inserter can be placed overtop yellow inserter, replacing it in that position.

You should be able to place a medium light pole overtop a small one and have the small returned to your inventory.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Place medium light pole overtop small light pole

Post by Gammro »

It's certainly consistent with the upgrade/exchange mechanic found in other parts which have tiers that are the same building size:
- Belts
- Splitters
- Inserters
- Assemblers
- probably forgot something

So yeah, I agree.
Ignore this

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, replacing that doesn't fit exactly into that schematics, cause downgrading might disconnect the whole network.

A much better way would be to mark an area and say "build electric network without gaps with that type of pole" and there is some kind of blueprint generated, which removes the existing poles and generates a plan with new poles of that type. And the construction bots deconstruct and construct it.

... Would be really cool: "make a construction area of that size" and the roboports are placed one after another...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

@ssilk

Imo you idea does not fit into the context. You described a complete new feature/mechanic whereas Jobeo suggested an addition to an implemented feature.

Of course you are right when say that downgrading a medium with a small pole can mess up your network, BUT the same applies to downgrading chests or inserters as well - it CAN "destroy" your setup, but do not have to. So in the end the player have to deal with the results of his actions and I see no difference between chests, inserters and poles in this context.

I like the sugesstion. +1

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

drs9999 wrote:@ssilk Imo you idea does not fit into the context. You described a complete new feature/mechanic whereas Jobeo suggested an addition to an implemented feature.
Yeah, but I also explained why. But to go into details: It would be really easy to implement that.

This is currently just a config-option ("fast_replaceable_group", look into entities.lua) for the both entities, that they can be replaced with any other entity in the same group. But the logic of replacement allows currently the exchange in every direction. And that doesn't make sense.

And now back to the overall game-context:

I need to ask, why this is useful? Well, I can imagine, that some new players would like that. :) I let the poles just stand where they are. Never change a running system. If I don't like it, I deconstruct the whole stuff and rebuild it from scratch. But well, maybe it's useful; as you said:
Of course you are right when say that downgrading a medium with a small pole can mess up your network, BUT the same applies to downgrading chests or inserters as well - it CAN "destroy" your setup, but do not have to. So in the end the player have to deal with the results of his actions and I see no difference between chests, inserters and poles in this context.
Maybe. I do no moddiing by myself, so I can't really be sure, but on a gut level I would say it is changing two lines in the config of the small and medium pole... the problem is: Does it make sense? I mean no. For the other items (inserters, belts...) yes, but not for the poles. I mean that's typical beginner-thoughts. Sorry.
[Edit: I have been told, that this the previously was not understandable English. :? German with english words instead. :) So here is the original: "Maybe. I'm not a modder, but out of my stomach it is two lines of change in the config of small and medium pole... the problem is: Does it make sense. And I mean: no. For the other stuff yes, but not for the poles - I mean, this is typical beginner thinking. Sorry."
:roll: As already said: Please send email and correct my English, if it is too strange, I just forget sometimes to "switch".]

I think into another direction, a new way of exchanging stuff. One, which is modable. Which can be used for some easy and really complicated stuff. For me it's just a logic way, but - well - I admit, that it isn't a way off-topic. :)

But my point is: How should I learn others to think so? No other way, than just to explain it. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

I agree with most of what ssilk is saying on this, but to be fair, if it is as easy to implement for a modder as you say, then it will be easier for the devs. They are not going to spend 2 or 3 hours implementing this feature, which could be time used on something else. It will take them max 5 minutes. And to be honest, it should be something that is in vanilla game.

Sedado77
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedado77 »

I kind of agree with both sides here.
On the CON side, True that if you can "fast upgrade", you can "fast downgrade". And in this case, it breaks the network to downgrade.
In chests case (the other that "could" be broken) it just gives you the items back if the chest was bigger and full, or don't let you do it if you have no space.
Also I agree that i don't replace power poles as I do with any other thing. Usually I completely change the placing of the poles when I upgrade them, because with 2 mediums, i can replace 4 or 5 small poles. And also I usually don't upgrade at all, because the poles don't change anything if the thing is already powered (not a better efficiency if less poles or something like that).

In the PRO side, sometimes i want to place a medium pole where i had a small one, and it'll make it easier... but if I already am at the distance for switching it, the fact that i have to right click for less than a sec before placing the pole, I don't think it's a big deal at all.

I'm for either way here :D

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”